To say that we’re in uncertain times is an understatement. At times like these, it makes sense to pause and assess our own personal situations including insurance coverage. Ask yourself what’s changed in the last year. What’s new that needs protecting? How can you preserve cash? And how can you ensure that the money you do spend provides value for both yourself and your family?
Is your insurance company one of the best? Find out. Just click the button below.
Insurance can deliver substantial protection when facing crises. This is often only true if you shop smart for that protection. If you’re considering looking at your insurance coverage, here’s some DOs and DON’Ts to help guide your decisions:
- DO read the language in your policy. It’s not unusual that some important things (like pandemics) might not be covered.
- DON”T rely solely on web reviews for purchase recommendations. Those are often biased and paid for by insurance companies.
- DO consider insurance carriers that aren’t big advertisers. These lesser-known firms often do the best job at claims handling. ValChoice rates companies around the country and has pinpointed the top providers in each state. For auto insurance, visit our car insurance calculator page and select your state. For home insurance, click here.
- DON”T expect your claims to be paid without a fight. Keep materials and document every conversation with the insurance company.
- DO seek independent ratings for every carrier you consider. Use services like Consumer Reports and ValChoice. You can run a free report on your current insurance company, or any company you might be considering, by visiting here.
- DON”T hesitate to find legal representation. If you file a claim, tap services provided by your state Bar Association like CalBar for a good resource.
ValChoice fights to bring transparency to the insurance industry. Most of our resources are provided free-of-charge to consumers. Please use them when shopping for coverage.